Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Friendships & Support: A Wonderful Benefit to Etsy Teams

Joining a team on Etsy is a wonderful way to connect with other sellers, find support and advice.  But occasionally extraordinary connections and lifelong friendships occur.  We'd like to share just such a story with you of an extraordinary connection with two sellers on the Etsy Treasury Team.  

We hope you enjoy this lovely story from Donna, of LaughingFridge.
~
I was delighted to become a member of the Etsy Treasury Team a short time ago. I love to make treasuries and thought this would be just the right team to join.  I discovered in a very short time that this team is not just about making treasuries; it's about making friends as well.  Amazing friends.  I'd like to tell you a wonderful story about one of them, but keep the tissue box close by....

In September our 8 yr old pug Lucy became very sick.  I made a treasury called "Ode to Pug" as a kind of get well card for her. All the members of this wonderful team expressed their concern and well wishes for our Lucy. One of the team members, Anna of Rebornasart and ALDDesigns , was inspired by my treasury to create a papier mache pug sculpture.  She asked me if she could name her sculpture Lucy. I was very touched by her request and of course said yes. Although Anna had never seen Lucy, she felt a connection to her while creating her pug sculpture. Then Anna sent me a wonderful email saying she wanted me to have her Lucy sculpture.  These are her words...

"It would mean a lot to me if she went to live with you. I've got a very special connection to animals, I get along with them better than people actually, and somehow although I don't even know her, I've got a really special feeling about Lucy. I hope you don't think I'm weird, I'd just really love for you to have this."

Shortly after Anna started her sculpture, Lucy underwent surgery to repair her damaged lung.  Sadly, she passed away during the procedure, and my heart was broken.  I sent an email to Anna letting her know. Many tears flowed between the two of us. I cried as I was telling Anna what happened.  She cried as she finished her Lucy sculpture. I sent Anna some pictures of Lucy and she was amazed at how much her sculpture looked like our sweet pug girl.  Anna put her heart and soul into this sculpture, and when I received her gift I cried again, but this time they were happy tears. Her amazing sculpture had Lucy's essence and spirit and I felt very comforted by it. She is proudly displayed on our mantel and every time I look at her I smile.



My grief has turned into fond memories with the help of Anna and her wonderful gift.  Out of tragedy, a real friendship was developed.  All the members of the Etsy Treasury Team expressed their heartfelt condolences and helped me deal with my loss.  There is so much more to this team than just creating and sharing treasuries; they are real people who truly care about each other and I'm so happy to be a part of this wonderful group!


~ Lucy ~

18 comments:

  1. Lovely article and great winter look to the blog! Love finding out about fellow makers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for sharing this wonderful story!! The ETTeam is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing such a beautiful story! my boyfriend and i own a dog daycare and have an 11 year old beagle who we love dearly (he is our "child") so i understand how you felt about lucy.

    amy
    (aka glasspanic)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for sharing your very touching story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is so touching. It's heartening to hear about the meaningful connections made through this team and also through the love of animals. The support of team members can mean a lot during hard times. I think we're lucky to have a team like this. It's kind of a big circle, isn't it? Lucy will always be remembered, and so will Anna's kindness. Thanks for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share this story. It's been wonderful to have such caring support. And I love that little Lucy sculpture so much! Anna is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a beautiful touching story! I had to take a break from reading in the middle because I'm sitting at Panera Bread studying and I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. As the biggest animal lover I know, and mother of four darling cats, I can't imagine the painful time you went through. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, this story is perfect for reminding us of all that we are thankful for in life.

    xoxo Tiffany of TeroldegoandTomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Props to Sandie for the beautiful winter blog upgrade! Thanks for keeping us looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing. This is a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an unbelievably touching story! ETTeam is so incredible...I am constantly amazed by the love and support this team gives.... Donna...I am so glad that something sweet and beautiful came out of such pain and loss...it must really help with the healing process. Anna you are an amazing person...what better gift than to touch someone's heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a beautiful and touching story... iam once more really happy to be part of this awesome group.
    kiss to all!!!

    Maril

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful story! This is an amazing team.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, heart-rending and heart-warming story. I feel so fortunate to be a part of this team, too!

    ~Linda/Engelfelt

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful, lovely sculpture, lovely occurence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely sculpture. Yes etsy folks sure do know how to help each other out. Paw wave to Laughing from Sasha and me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a heart warming story! I loved reading about the the true connection that you, Lucy and Anna formed together. Connections like this are what make life so special. I love being a part of this team too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna, What a beautiful and touching story you are sharing with us. It's such a fabulous way Anna has chosen to help you remember Lucy...
    I always am amazed by our team members,their love on happy events and support when we mostly need it...I'm proud to be a part of this team!!!
    Hugs & ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is such a heart-warming story!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comment!!